When looking at cognitive
development theories (Piaget in particular) and how I would apply them to my
preschool environment there is one thing that I would do for sure. I would include copious amounts of real life
experiences into the curriculum and make sure to book field trips wherever
possible. I would get volunteers to come
in whenever possible as well because of how important real-life experiences
are. If the children showed interested
in a certain animal, like for example reptiles, I would look into hiring a
guest speaker who would come into the classroom with an assortment of them to
allow the children to experience them up close and personal (an example of a
program like this here: http://www.creaturequest.ca) This has been available at center’s I’ve
been at before, and are often filled with an abundance of great learning
experiences that will really help with the children’s cognitive development. Also
when on these field trips, or even just in the classroom I would ask lots of
open-ended questions to ensure that the children take in the most information
possible. This would also help them with
their cognitive development because, as discussed in part one, Piaget believed
(like Vygotsky) that language was a very important part in cognitive
development. Piaget also believed that
we learned in stages of life differently, so it is important that I understand
each stage and what it entails and plan curriculum according to those stages.
No comments:
Post a Comment